Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Welcome Home!

Just yesterday Brad asked me, "Shouldn't we take a "Welcome Home" gift to our neighbor?" I hadn't given it much thought yet, so I decided I would ask each of you to weigh in.

When a missionary comes home we make a big sign and have an Open House. When a soldier comes home we tie yellow ribbons around the old oak tree and wear our Flag pins. When the kids come home from school we make their favorite cookies and great them at the door while the steam wafts across the front porch (okay, maybe that one's a stretch). When dad comes home from work we greet him with a hug and a kiss (sometimes we greet him with an "I'm going to kill your children, it's a good thing your home!").

But what do you do for your neighbor when he comes home....from the State Penitentiary! Yes folks, that's right, our neighbor is home from the Point of the Mountain (as it is lovingly called in Utah). After his race across the Canadian border and hiding out for several months he came back to Utah to face the music and has been in the state pen, the big house, for the last several months.

We had to have a family meeting the other day to warn the children and make sure all of the windows and doors are locked at all times. We thought about implanting those little GPS devices under their skin, like the dogs, but thought that may be pushing it. But seriously, how much do I have to worry about? Since most of his adult life has been spent behind bars, he'll probably be back there soon.

Now, maybe I am being a bit snarky, but HELLO! I live in Orem! Why did it move next door to me? On the bright side, maybe some of the marijuana he planted in his back yard will spread under the fence (like our mint plant does) and we can use it as a side business! (Just kidding)

But seriously, what should we take! :)

2 comments:

Jaimi said...

Handcuffs? A striped shirt? Black and white balloons? A pack of cigarettes? Something in orange?

I won't print what Jeff suggested.(:

Kelli said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I didn't know he was back. Do you really think we should be concerned? I don't even know why he was in there, but I'm all nervous sending Min to the bus stop in the mornings now! Ugh! Did he really have marijuana plants in the back yard? Yikes!