Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Is There a Deacon in The House?


Why, yes there is! January 22 was Colton's 12th birthday. I can't believe we have a 12 year old. He has been anticipating this day with great excitement. He has been looking forward to receiving the priesthood and doing his best to prepare for it.

Since we only let our kids have friend Birthday parties on their 4, 8, 12 and 16 year parties, we decided this one should be a doozie! Colton decided to have a game night at the church. We ended up with 32 eleven and twelve year olds there for 3 hours. They had hot dogs, chips, snacks and cake and ice cream. They played ping-pong in one room, the Wii in another, Dodge Ball and Basketball in the gym and a putting green was in the hallway. It was a blast!




The next day, Saturday, he played in the "Game of the Year" against his cousin Andrew's team. Coincidentally, that team was coached by Brad's brother, Dwight. It was Coach vs. Coach, brother vs. brother, cousin vs. cousin. Lucky for Colton, his team won and he got the bragging rights!

That Sunday Colton was ordained. He woke up throwing up so we decided to cancel everything. By 11:30 he had decided he was okay and was not going to delay his ordination. We hurriedly prepared for family to come over and got everyone to church. We called everyone who we had previously called to cancel on and reinvited them!



Colton was sustained in church, looking very dapper in his new suit (which was a combination of gifts from Brad and I and Grandma and Grandpa) and his new green silk tie, a gift from Uncle Patch and Aunt Jacque. Brad ordained him and Colton was surrounded by family and close friends, all of whom he invited. He had his Dad, Uncle Dwight, Uncle Chris, Grandpa T, Bishopric, 2 primary teachers and a scout leader. It was a beautiful blessing.



Following the ordination we went to our home for lots of food and visiting. It was a great day and caused us to reflect on many things. We are so grateful for Colton and his special spirit. He has been so special, thoughtful and blessed, since the day he was born. His tender heart has not changed and I hope it never does. We are so proud of him for his choice to receive and honor the priesthood. I am grateful to have four sons and grateful that Colton is their example. I hope that Brad and I can do what the Lord would have us do to raise 4 righteous priesthood holders.

3 comments:

Jaimi said...

Colton, you look very handsome in your new suit. We are proud of you for making good decisions. Wish we could have been with you on your special day. Love you!

jonathan said...

How can he be that old? I remember when he was just a bun in the oven and Wendy and I came to visit you guys in Prescott...does that mean we are old too?!?

jonathan said...

Oh...this is Amanda