Monday, May 12, 2008

My Scooter Nerd









This is my husband.








This is his scooter.

This is the story of my husband and his scooter.


When Brad was at BYU his trusty Chevrolet truck broke down. On the advice of one of his professors, he decided to sell the truck and buy a scooter, which would save a ton on gas and get him great parking on campus. We tried to sell it after he graduated and started working in SLC, because obviously, he couldn't drive the little thing to Salt Lake every day. It was at this time that I lovingly coined his nick name of "Scooter Nerd." Perhaps the pictures don't do him justice, but to see a 6'4" guy on a little red scooter is pretty funny. And so, for the past 3 years Brad has been the "Scooter Nerd."
In January, Brad's not so trusty, but oh so stylish, Saturn station wagon, lost its engine, by some confusing circumstance that I shall not attempt to explain. Needless to say, we could not afford to replace the engine, even if the car was worth it, and we needed to find a way for Brad to get to school. He couldn't drive the van because of the glorious price of gas and because I have to work and haul kids around all day. This was the beginning of the second tour of duty for the scooter, which has sat idle in our garage except for the occasional recreational rides around the neighborhood, since Brad's graduation in '06.
We decided the only option was to ride the bus, which he could catch at University Mall, a few miles from our home. He only had to transfer 4 times and it would take a mere 2 hours, compared to the usual commute in the car of 35 minutes. In an effort to spare me the pain of driving him to the bus stop each morning at 5:00 a.m. and leaving our sleeping children home alone, he decided to ride the scooter. Problem #1 - The mornings in January are not so toasty. Problem #2 - There is quite a head wind on a scooter at the rapid speed of 25 mph. To combat these two problems, we assembled a wardrobe of our warmest winter and ski gear to get Brad to the bus stop each morning and home each night. This only made the name "Scooter Nerd" more appropriate, and might I say, we have gotten many comments from neighbors and friends who have seen him zip home at night all bundled up, looking even bigger and more stylish, in his big parka.

After all the ribbing I give him about being my little "Scooter Nerd" I have to say that I am grateful for and recognize that the last few months have been a sacrifice for him. He comes home with a frozen face and frozen hands, even when bundled up. He leaves so early in the morning and he really hasn't complained. It is just one of those things you have to do to get by. Hurrah to the boys at Hillcrest High School who have volunteered their time to breathe new life into the Saturn and hopefully Brad will finally have his car back at the end of the week. Although I am sure Brad will not, I think I will miss the "Scooter Nerd" just a little bit!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I love it! And I love seeing your "scooter nerd" zip by our house. Too funny!! Thanks for the laugh ;)

Jaimi said...

That's how I've always pictured Brad. A chubby guy with glasses on a scooter. And by the way when did he get rid of the streamers and the basket on the front?
Jeff

Matt and Lindsay said...

Hey Matt and I started a blog. I need your email address so I can send you an invite! our email is mattlindsmyers@gmail.com thanks

Reed said...

Refreshing story. Brad, that is heroism I tell you!