Monday, May 5, 2008

6 Strange Habits

So, I got tagged by my sister, who is now on my hit list! I must admit that I found it difficult to come up with six strange habits - this was rather surprising to me, as I thought I would be able to find quite a few. On a trip to Beaver this weekend to my cousin's wedding, I posed the question to my mom, dad, and wendy, who were more than willing to help me! Not surprisingly we finally came up with a few and then we were on a roll! Here are a few of my oddities!

1. ICE CRUNCHING - I am an ice cruncher! I am addicted to ice - but it has to be the "good ice" or "crunchy ice," you know, like the stuff you get from Sonic. MMMMMmmmmmm. I am fortunate enough to have an ice maker in my fridge and boy do I get good ice out of it! There is a system you see - first you fill the glass with ice, then the water. Next, you must crunch the ice with a fork or knife to separate it, otherwise, you get a gigantic block of unusable ice. Then you let it sit for at least 30 minutes - depending on the temperature of the day - to let it get to just the right crunchiness. Then, enjoy! Yes, it is a sickness. It is the first thing I get in the morning and last thing before I fall asleep. And never, ever, think of wasting a good glass of ice! Even my twins know how to prepare my ice water. I often yell at my husband who steals my "good ice" which has been "ruminating" for the prescribed amount of time. He cracks up at my verbage, but it works. In my defense, the madness started when I was pregnant with the twins and that was all i could keep down. Strange I know.

2. HOUSE FIRES - If any of you are fans of Little House on The Prairie, you will remember the fire at the blind school. Pam and I were loyal watchers and were forever traumatized by the fire at the blind school. So much so that in our prayers from the time we were 8 or 9 we began praying that the house wouldn't catch on fire - yes, it continues to this day. I even check the water heater before I go to bed to make sure that there is nothing underneath it that could ignite. For some reason in my mind, this seems like the most likely spot a fire would start. Strange I know. (by the way, Little House airs on PBS, but you may want to screen the episodes for the blind school fire - seriously traumatizing)

3. MINGLING OF FOOD - I hate it when my food touches on the plate. There are only some flavors that I like to mix, like cranberries and turkey etc., but I like to be in control and mix the flavors at my pleasure. I really hate it when a sweet thing, such as a Jello salad, mixes with a savory flavor. It makes me crazy when my jello salad melts on my plate, or when saucy things get all over. Perhaps it is a control issue! Strange I know.

4. DOORBELLS - This started after I had children and they would get all excited when the doorbell or phone would ring. I began to ask, "Who is at the door?" I didn't realize what I was doing until one day, while living at my mom's house, she exclaimed "Well, go answer it and find out! We won't know until you open it!" Well, duh! Yes, I still do it, as though someone will tell me who is there. Strange I know.

5. CHEERLEADING - I know this may come as a surprise to many of you, but I can get rather loud - especially when watching my children at sporting events. I cannot sit quietly in my seat and inwardly cheer. No. It must be loud and filled with enthusiasm even if my kids can't hear me. Recently I realized what a problem this is for me. The boys play soccer in the fall and spring. This spring it has been so cold and windy that we have watched several games in the car at the edge of the field. Even while I am in the car with the windows rolled up, I am screaming and cheering for the boys - like they can really hear me! I just can't stop! Strange I know.

6. IDIOT SAVANT - Wendy calls me the idiot savant of phone numbers. This "talent" was discovered when Wendy was working for my property management company. She would ask who she should call and I would recite the number by memory to whichever tenant she needed to call. She has dubbed me the "Idiot Savant" It's truly an honor. Strange I know.

7. I told you I could come up with more than six, so here are a few extras. This may not come as a shock to some of you, but I have a true phobia of vomiting which stems from the pregnancy with the twins. When my children begin to vomit I flip out. I almost hibernate trying to stay away for fear that I too will vomit. I instantly get a stomach ache and stop eating for a few days - except the crunchy ice of course - because it is easier to throw up water than food. Strange I know.

And finally - I cannot stand dirty noses, ears, fingernails or pimples. I love to clean them, swab them, clip them and pop them! What a feeling of accomplishment. I share this with a few of my family members. Thanks to our brothers for providing us with years of teenage acne to work on! Strange I know.

So there you have it! A few of my strange habits. I know you were all dying to hear about them, and I hope that I didn't disappoint. You may know of a few others that I have failed to recognize - do us all a favor and keep it to yourself!

I tag Lila Geddes, Pam Thomas, Julie Esplin, Lindsey Myers, Joni Geddes, Jacque Thomas - if you don't have a blog, now is your time to start!

3 comments:

Jaimi said...

See, I knew you could do it...I always knew you were strange. Guess that's why I've always liked you. (:

Kelli said...

You are one of the funniest people I know! Your blog is my very favorite to read. (well, yours and Wendy's...imagine that!) So keep the posts coming!

Amanda said...

Love it Liesha - you crack me up. It is fun to read your blog. I miss you Thomas girls.